Friday, March 27, 2009

Mexico and beyond

I just got back from an amazing two week vacation to Boca Raton, Florida and then off on a 5 day cruise to Cozumel, Mexico. Isn't it funny how vacation can give you a whole new perspective on...everything?!

I got to spend time with Grandma back at home in Boca which I needed more than I realized. My friends Madison and Jake just happen to be in the area and stopped down for a visit. Jake and I hit up Armani and he got some new swim trunks and I got a new silk dress and a shirt. I love them :)

I got to go to Gumbo Limbo to see the nature conservatory. My favorite thing to do. I also got to go to Bookwise and get some books. My favorite book store. I am currently reading "On Intelligence" and I highly reccomend it for research style readers. It's no novel. It is written by Jeff Hawkins who invented the palm pilot and is about neuroscience and intelligence.

Grandma and I took a cruise on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas to Cozumel to see the ancient Mayan Ruins which was extra fun for me since I am studying that in World Civilization right now. I also signed up for the safari through the jungle and snorkeling. Cozumel's Punta Sur is supposed to be the 2nd best place for snorkeling in the world. The coral and reefs were beautiful and I saw a lot of tropical fish, but the part that was the most exciting was the barracuda that were swimming with me!!!! AHHH!!!!

I am the proud new owner of seven new pieces of art from the art auction. John the auctioneer and my new friend gave them to me for free :) They are large lithiograph's of these works:
  • Anatole Krasnyansky's Officer's Celebration #7
  • Emile Bellet's Quietude Bleue Au Chat (my 2nd Emile Bellet)
  • Itzchak Tarkay's Little Round Table #7
  • Linda Le Kinff's Romane
  • Marcus Glenn's Floatin with the Mojo
  • Charles Lee's Mythical Rose
I am waiting for them to arrive then I need to figure out how to frame them.

They had the best piano player/singer I have ever heard on the ship. He was better than some of the originals and he wasn't bad on the eyes either. He was putting on wigs and goofing around and was a great performer. Sitting and listening to him play with grandma and sometimes alone is how I made most of the friends I met on the trip including Kory the piano man. There is a picture of Kory and I together at the bottom of this post.

The food was amazing. I hear Royal Caribbean is the only cruise line with good food. I tried Mahi Mahi Tempura, escargot, duck, lamb, shrimp cocktails...among sooo many other things. Escargot was surprisingly delicious by the way.

I made a ton of new friends on the ship and I had a fantastic time. There is nothing I love more than being on ship. We had an ocean view stateroom with a porthole. The food was amazing. Everything was amazing :)





12 comments:

Emilie May said...

missie in blue looks so mature.

Emilie May said...

wait, not to say you aren't mature. er... i meant that blue makes you look older, but in a good way. i'm digging a hole... sorry.

Anonymous said...

Was the art auction held by Park West? I just got back from a cruise and purchased Emile Bellet's Quietude Bleue Au Chat also. I'm no expert but does anyone know how many originals he painted? Thanks, Russell900@aol

mike said...

Amazing! Returned today on Royal Carib's Explorer of the Sea the happy raffle winner of 5 from your list.
Only missing Mythical Rose.
Park West held auction.

Not an art buff but wonder how numbers (7) can be the same. Assume now that they're not from a limited edition.
Guess I won't spend a lot on framing.
Does anyone have a feel for their worth?

Thanks>mike

Anonymous said...

Funny,
Just won a Park west raffle on the Holland America Cruise to Alaska..got myself a Anatole Krasnyansky Officer's Celebration #7 (I think it's a seriagraph or something like that)...gotta do more research on these "artwork"...

Anonymous said...

Funny I just return from a cruise. the art aution was held by Park West. I also won Anatole Krasnyansky's officer's celebration #7 and Emile Bellet's QuietudeBleue Au Chat. How many of these are out there? Is it even worth it to get it frame? so far can't find this on line

Rich said...

I also went on a Royal Carribean cruise in April where I also "won" a Officer's Celebration #7 along with four others but in the meantime paid for a Krasnyansky for 920.00. Now I'm discovering that a whole lot of fraud is being perpetrated by this Gallery organization. I was told that #7 was appraised at 600.00 but I'll be lucky to get about 100.00 for it.

Richard

Anonymous said...

nice-wallpaper

doyy k ? cf 13

Unknown said...

We got the same free pictures from John and are now looking framing options. The sizes are a bit of a challenge.

Fitzy said...

Hi Mel:
I was looking for info on Kory The Piano Man and your blog came up. Just had to comment on the fact that Kory is the best entertainer on any of the ships. We did a 14 night transatlantic on the Nav. and had to sing along with Kory for 13 of the 14 nights. Like you there is no place I would rather be than on a cruise ship.

Bill Fitzpatrick

Don In Alabama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Don In Alabama said...

These free artworks are promotional items and are not really worth anything, that's why they're free. They are not hand signed, they are signed on the plate and are mass produced, essentially posters. The ones that are worth something are the numbered and signed limited editions.